Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
* Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [03-29-14 07:48]:
On 03/28/2014 10:28 PM, Carl Hartung wrote:
[...]
First, I don't think the original filesystem type is at play. I think
the backup media being ROM is what caused the files to be marked
read-only as they were written.

I'm compelled by the evidence to agree with you on this point.

Second, I think if you'd mounted the DVDs so they were owned by you
(e.g. anton.users) instead of by root (root.root) your files would have
inherited that ownership as they were being read.

When I tried doing "mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/dvd" I got the message
"Only root can do that".

Resistance is futile!

In *this* instance, "only root can do that", but you are free, depending
on mount permissions, to access/read/write/execute as <user>. Resistance
noted is *security* :^)