Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 04:21:41 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I personally dislike compressed tars for backups. A single byte error
in the media, and you can not decompress it. The entire tar archive is
lost. Very unreliable.

In my case, the issue is moot, but I never lost an archive due to the
issues you've raised here. There's not only faulty / degraded media to
worry about, but there are varying calibrations / alignments across
optical drives. The potential for catastrophic loss definitely exists.
In fact, I actually think this is why I stopped using CD/DVD media for
backups. I switched to running all my backups to redundant external hard
drives. This method means at all times I have at least three copies of
everything critical ... the 'live' filesystem originals plus two
physically separate 'mirrors' (rsync.)