Re: [opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
On 2014-03-29 04:12, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 04:01:56 +0100

You need to activate the Rock Ridge extensions, not Joliet (or both).

Ah, of course ... thanks for reminding us, Carlos. It's been several
years since I last did any serious backups to CD/DVD so I guess I'd
forgotten. That being said, I seem to recall also compressing first to
reduce the number of disks I was burning and this, coincidentally, also
served to preserve the attributes.

Compression... well, not really the compression part, but the archiving
part. When in the Unix/Linux world you create an archive, like a 'tar',
the attributes and permissions are stored inside the archive. Thus, when
you copy the archive, compressed or not, to a CD or tape or HD, they are
preserved.

I personally dislike compressed tars for backups. A single byte error in
the media, and you can not decompress it. The entire tar archive is
lost. Very unreliable.

There is a compression extension for CD/DVDs. The DVD can be mounted
normally, and the contents are transparently decompressed on the fly, so
you get direct access to any files in there. However, the process of
creating a compressed DVD is cumbersome. Look up the -z parameter in the
"genisoimage" man page (old mkisofs).

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)