[opensuse] Backup .. restore ... access/ownership
I've just been though the tedious process of restoring from backup.
The 1T WD drive developed more unmappable bad sectors than it could handle, right in my /home partition! Bathtub so replaced under warranty. Tedium of doing reinstall.

Previously /home had been backed up rsync to thumb-drive :-)
Rsync out; rsync back in :-)
It was then the task of restoring the ~/Documents, ~/Mail, ~/Music etc from DVD. Mount as /mnt/dvd then rsync into place. Step-and-repeat.
I'd been a good boy and done my backups :-)

OUCH! For some reason everything seemed to be r--r--r-- root.root

I'd burnt the DVDs with K3B. Is this some side effect of putting a reiserFS on a DVD using K3B in data mode? Or what?

Any thoughts?

--
Think of managing change as an adventure. It tests your skills and abilities. It brings forth talent that may have been dormant. Change is also a training ground for leadership. When we think of leaders, we remember times of change, innovation and conflict. Leadership is often about shaping a new way of life. To do that, you must advance change, take risks and accept responsibility for making change happen.
- Charles E. Rice, CEO of Barnett Bank