Re: [opensuse] Install on RAID 1 with local disk and iscsi disk
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:30:34 +0100
Paul Neuwirth wrote:

On Mar 27 2014 07:59, Per Jessen wrote:
Paul Neuwirth wrote:
On Mar 26 2014 16:03, Per Jessen wrote:

Hmm, he did say it was root, so yes, it has to be in the initrd.
Paul, you may have to rebuild the initrd to get the iscsi setup
copied in.

yes, i have "node.startup = onboot" in the node configuration.
and yes it happens in initrd.
i rebuild initrd already, but wondering, how mkinitrd shoulld
detect, that the root device (/dev/md0) uses an iscsi device.
something to add into a config or into the mkinitrd command?

I think mkinitrd is somewhat uncritical and simply copies in the
iscsi config
whenever it finds iscsi devices in fstab. Judging by your initrd, it
has
iscsi so that's covered. Your initrd looks remarkably like one of
mine, right down to the tg3 network driver.

You might want to look into if the md startup waits for the iscsi
ditto. I've never done a RAID setup such as this, but having mdraid
wait for iscsi doesn't sound like something we would do by default.

I don't know the exact behaviour of mdraid.
maybe it's supposed to add the device automatically to the existing
raid after it's appearance?

No, I don't think that's how it works - if a device can't be found, it
is marked faulty or not-present. If you want the other behaviour, you
should look at setting up multipath, although I really don't know how
mdraid will behave with that.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.2°C)