Re: [opensuse] HEADS UP! for the adventurous **YET TO CATCH UP WITH GIVEN ADVICE**
On 23/03/14 15:21, David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 22/03/14 19:35, Hartmut Meyer wrote:
Am Samstag, 22. M?rz 2014, 08:44:37 schrieb jdd:
Le 22/03/2014 04:28, Basil Chupin a ?crit :
I am now working thru on how I can recover but I suspect that the only way
for me at the moment is re-install 13.1 from scratch.
is this an EFI boot? if yes look at the bios
And if that doesn't help:

Boot into rescue system, mount 13.1 and chroot into it. Reinstall bootlader.
Having never used this 'chroot' I will probably have to spend some
time experimenting on how to use it, but I will certainly try it
before re-installing 13.1 (if need be) :-) .
Basically:

# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt ### where /dev/sdXY is your /-dev for
### the "to be repaired" system, use
### lsssci/fdisk -l etc. to find the dev
# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
# cd /mnt
# chroot /mnt
[.. do stuff in the chroot like grub-install etc. ..]
[in chroot]# exit
[back in rescue]
# umount /mnt/proc /mnt/sys /mnt/dev ### could be you have to split
### that up
# sync; sync; ### just to be safe
# umount /mnt

And you should be done.

HTH,
-dnh

To you David and others, sorry if I haven't responded to your suggestions but will as soon as I am able.

I haven't yet tried the suggestions given.

The recovery of oS on the laptop has taken second priority for the moment because my wife wants a new kitchen so we have been 'frolicking' around with consultants, kitchen companies, appliance stores...... At day's end the laptop is the last thing I want to tackle :-) .

BC

--
A civilisation is judged by how it treats the most vulnerable.

Lauren Smith - 30 January 2014