[opensuse] Re: Remote control
James Knott wrote:
Paul Neuwirth wrote:
using opensuse12.3, xdm, xdmcp, icewm
works well with Windows' Xming over ethernet.
But too slow via Internet/VPN.

Xming was the one I was thinking of. I used it at work a couple of
years ago with openSUSE 11.4.
---
Cygwin's X worked with XDMCP and supported Remote OpenGL over GLX.

The article about wayland being incapable of working over X because
it only shipped bits shows how much he knew about X. X does use
local fonts (or remote with a font server), it does a bunch of things
including 3D accel, when it works, but when it's broken
those things don't work so well.

You can't tell me a browser over the internet is capable of using download-
able fonts while and X server is to slow because of that... huh?

Unfortunately Cygwin just switched to 64-bit, so many thing that used
to work well don't work as well yet on 64-bit. It's looking like
OpenGL may still need some work on 64bit -- but cygwin opens more
access to the HW than you normally see on windows -- including the
registry in /prog/registry (R/O at this point still)...