Re: [opensuse] Moving / and /boot partitions
On 2014-03-23 11:13 (GMT-0400) James Knott composed:

I though the usual practice with Linux was to have grub on the boot
partition, with the MBR pointing to it. That's the way it's configured
here.

Across the entirety of modern Linux distros, Grub anywhere other than the MBR seems to have become the exception. Grub2 upstream is rather insistent the only place to install Grub2 is on the MBR. Fedora's installer gives only 2 bootloader choices: 1-Grub2 on MBR; 2-install no bootloader (my selection always).

Under this roof, Grub is never installed on any MBR, and Grub2 is infrequently installed anywhere at all, most recently yesterday, when Wheezy offered no apparent choice other than Grub2. Most of my systems have Grub Legacy installed on a primary partition that is never mounted to /boot, and is managed entirely by myself via MCedit and Grub shell. Most of my installations, all of my openSUSE installations, have Grub Legacy installed to their / partitions. A few less flexible distros have various Grub2 incarnations installed to their roots.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/