Re: [opensuse] Re: Post to opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx denied---stupid rules R US
On 2014-03-23 18:02, Anton Aylward wrote:

Any interface which allows faked embedded links to malware, hiding the
real destination from the user, is fundamentally flawed.

Yes, this is a problem. But there is software that warns about this,
adding a new part to the email, on top, that says that "this email
contains deceptive links". Pine does something of the sort, for instance.

text is a dubious one. What value does colour and juggling fonts have
in our context?

It is not only colour or big fonts. You can have paragraphs with plain
bold headers, or underlined words. This is a resource that we had with
the plain typewriters of a century ago - I know because I used those
things quite a bit. We can not even do that with pain text email >:-)

Yes, text formatting can be abused, but not having any at all is absurd.
It is even more restrictive than typewriters!

I don't think the restrictions on what can be posted are stupid.
I don't want to receive attachments that I'm not interested in
opening/viewing. Why waste bandwidth; put it in some kind of dropbox.

But you do!

Attachments are against the rules, yes, but they are not filtered out.
The list server accepts and forwards them.

For instance, on Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:54:25 +0100, the post with subject
"BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference", weights 532Km,
because it contains two attachments:

1 26 lines Text/PLAIN (charset: windows-1252)
2 36 lines Text/PLAIN (charset: windows-1252) (Name: "xen info.txt")
3 393 KB Image/PNG (Name: "Screenshot_console2.png")

Patrick noticed ;-)

And it is not the only case, just the largest and more recent I found on
my current folder. If you think that one is old, today there is a a 1
megabyte attachment on the opensuse-kernel mail list.

So, no, attachments are not blocked at all, and I'm not happy about that.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >