Re: [opensuse] HEADS UP! for the adventurous
Hello,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 22/03/14 17:54, David Haller wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, Basil Chupin wrote:
The installation went fine until it came to the first "reboot your
computer" which is when the wheels fell off :-( . The reboot saw that
there were multiple systems installed and.....went braindead and
decided that it couldn't boot into any and so the whole lot defaulted
to the laptop's built-in boot procedure (which knows nothing). Now I
cannot boot into my existing 13.1 and, of course, 13.2 is not visible
to complete the installation.
What do you use as bootmanager? Is it a BIOS or EFI? Grub1, grub2, ...?

What errors do you get?

EFI is switched off so it is the BIOS which controls the boot
process. I only use Grub2.

And the error I get is, "Multiple active partitions" after which the
only way out is to reboot the laptop (or press and hold the ON
button).

Easy. Boot anything with 'fdisk' or 'gdisk'. The following is assuming
a normal MBR, not a GPT partition table, but with gdisk, it's much the
same (except that a protective GPT-MBR probably has no active
partitions at all and I'm not sure if GPT even has the concept of an
active partition). So:

Use 'lsscsi' to find the device (sdX) you need to work on. Then:

# fdisk /dev/sdX
[..]
Command (m for help): p ### you'll see two parts with * in
### the "Boot" column
[..]
Command (m for help): a ### toggle "active" flag on partition
Partition number (1-x): 3 ### toggle that of the appropriate "wrongly"
### "active" partition
Command (m for help): p ### you should see only one parts * in
### the "Boot" column, the one you
### boot (Winders) from
Command (m for help): v ### verify
Command (m for help): w ### write & quit
# sync; sync
# reboot

Done. The problem is: I have no idea which partition should be active,
as you've neglected to add the output of 'fdisk -l /dev/sdX' or
somesuch (well, I did not ask, did I).

BTW: do you remember a "makeactive" anywhere in the installation
process (of the booting stuff)? That might be the root-cause.

HTH,
-dnh

--
G'Kar [to Marcus]: "If you're going to be worried every time the universe
doesn't make sense, you'll be worried every moment of every day for the rest