Re: [opensuse] displaying systemd startup order?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:15:59 +0100
Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

В Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:50:57 +0100
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

Related to my question "How do I make systemd wait for iscsi to start
before attempting to mount iscsi-based filesystems?", I've been
looking
at the systemd startup order. What exactly does "systemctl --order"
show - the status quo or what will happen on the next start-up?

I'm asking because I've added

Requires=remote-fs.target

/usr/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service

After a "systemctl --daemon-reload", the start-up sequence did not
change as expected.

Requires is orthogonal to startup order. foo.service Requires
bar.service means systemd will attempt to start bar.service when
requested to start foo.service. It does *not* mean foo.service will be
started after bar.service.

Use After/Before to influence relative startup order. Requires is
almost always wrong (it is too strong dependency).

So if I want to indicate: "service A depends service B, do not start A
unless B has been started" what should I use?

On 13.1 you can use "systemctl list-dependencies --after|--before foo"
to see, after/before which units foo will be started. This also works
recursively. E.g.
[snip]
Not sure if this was already present in 12.3

Nope, doesn't work in 12.3.

I could be way wrong, but I'm not sure systemd considers iscsi
filesystems to be remote? According to "systemctl --order" it will
attempt to mount them before iscsi is started :-o

Well, how should systemd know it is iSCSI in the first place?
When /etc/fstab is processed, nothing is yet started and device does
not exist so it is not even possible to probe it.

That's why you were advised to use _netdev to inform systemd about it.

Yes, I've tried the _netdev option, but it doesn't change anything.
systemd keeps trying to mount the filesystem before iscsi has logged
into to the target and acquired it. This is the crux of the issue.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.4°C)