Re: [opensuse] searching the journal is incredibly slow?
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:35 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a journal with about 1million lines in it - going through it page
by page is fine, but trying to skip a few hundred thousand lines or
search for e.g. /^Mar/ takes ages. Is this normal?

Per,

I went back and scanned the old factory discussion:

http://markmail.org/message/3lqwawpcawl4avn2

Per it, if you install syslog in addition to what you have, you will
get traditional text logs in addition to the binary logs.

Hi Greg

I always have syslog installed (audit trail), and rarely use the journal at all. This time I couldn't find the lines I needed (a failed startup), but as this system happened to have a journal, I decided to try it out.

/Per