Re: [opensuse] searching the journal is incredibly slow?
On 2014-03-18 13:48, Greg Freemyer wrote:
F.

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a journal with about 1million lines in it - going through it
page by page is fine, but trying to skip a few hundred thousand lines or
search for e.g. /^Mar/ takes ages. Is this normal?

From what I recall of conversations on factory, yes.

You can either host the journal on a SSD or extract a static text version as
needed to search through.

Do we have some filesystem that runs on disk with a heavy dedicated ram
cache?

tmpfs spills over to swap, but that is not what I mean. I mean a
filesystem that works mainly from memory, but with full copy on disk so
that it is permanent, and at the same time fast because requests go to
ram first, and only when needed, go to disk.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)