Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
On 2014-03-14 08:30, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-13 15:29, Per Jessen wrote:

But surely pointers can not be the larger part of the needed storage,
is it?

I agree it seems unlikely, but because everything has to accomodate a
64bit address, the stack is also suddenly twice as big, for instance.

Oh, the stack, right... You can not "push" a byte.

With a few processes it's no big deal, but 32bit I can run a lot more
processes per system than with 64bit.

Well, if you have tried the experiment both ways, and the memory
footprint is bigger, then obviously I believe you :-)

You can also observe it yourself if you have two systems to compare.

I don't see a way I could have that many postfix processes in a virtual
machine :-)

I have always "felt" that 64 bit systems used more memory than the 32
bit equivalent. But I thought it was bad coding mostly. I didn't think
about the stack, though. That there are things that you simply can not
code smaller.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)