Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 08:48:07 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-13 13:20, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
В Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:37:15 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> пишет:

But if this happens, it is bad coding. Programs do not need to use
64 bit variables just because they are available.

You have no choice with pointers.

My 86' assembler is very rusty, I worked more with the 68000. IIRC,
you could do "short jumps", in which the destination address was
relative to the current program counter.

I never remember what model Linux uses, but don't we have short jumps?

The flat memory model. Segment registers aren't used anymore, although
FS and GS may still be used.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.3°C)