Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 08:30:07 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-13 15:29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But if this happens, it is bad coding. Programs do not need to use
64 bit variables just because they are available. They can just as
well keep using as small a variable as they really need.

I can assure you it happens. As Andrey said already, it's about
pointers.

But surely pointers can not be the larger part of the needed storage,
is it?

I agree it seems unlikely, but because everything has to accomodate a
64bit address, the stack is also suddenly twice as big, for instance.

With a few processes it's no big deal, but 32bit I can run a lot more
processes per system than with 64bit.

Well, if you have tried the experiment both ways, and the memory
footprint is bigger, then obviously I believe you :-)

You can also observe it yourself if you have two systems to compare.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.4°C)