Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
On 2014-03-13 15:29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

But if this happens, it is bad coding. Programs do not need to use 64
bit variables just because they are available. They can just as well
keep using as small a variable as they really need.

I can assure you it happens. As Andrey said already, it's about
pointers.

But surely pointers can not be the larger part of the needed storage, is it?

With a few processes it's no big deal, but 32bit I can run a lot more
processes per system than with 64bit.

Well, if you have tried the experiment both ways, and the memory
footprint is bigger, then obviously I believe you :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)