Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 18:28:37 +0100
Ricardo Chung wrote:

On 2014-03-12 23:20, jdd wrote:
could start dropping it from demo dvd, but there still lot of
32bits machines around

Probably more than 64 bit machines.

I'd guess that many of the XP expatriates that we want to welcome to
our camp have 32 bit hardware.

Of the three machines I use at home, one is 32 bit.
And several more I seldom use, are of course 32 bit, but those will
not be updated.

+1

I agree we have an opportunity to give an happy welcome to Linux for
all those XP ready to drop their PC through out their 'windows'
(mostly 32-bit).

Anyway, I do not believe Linux kernel will drop the 32-bit before
version 3.20 or any that closer as we think. Chances are we have two
or three years extended support before it happens. And that would be
enough time to migrate to new CPU's (64-bit) or Not?

The thing is, as you can tell from the rest of the thread, there is
still at least one good reason to be running a 32bit os on a 64bit
processor. There are also lots of embedded systems out there with
system-on-a-chip which are 32bit only.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.5°C)