Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 15:29:05 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-03-13 08:44, Per Jessen wrote:

Oh, I strongly intend to continue doing this. At times I have maybe
25000+ postfix processes running, spread across a number of systems
running 32bit. On 64bit systems they would gobble up much too much
memory so I would need a lot more boxes.

But if this happens, it is bad coding. Programs do not need to use 64
bit variables just because they are available. They can just as well
keep using as small a variable as they really need.

I can assure you it happens. As Andrey said already, it's about
pointers.
With a few processes it's no big deal, but 32bit I can run a lot more
processes per system than with 64bit.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.6°C)