Re: [opensuse] Backup mailserver
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:18:56 +0100
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hi,

My internet connection at home is broken.
I was trying to set up a backup mailserver at work.

A backup mailserver is most often superfluous. Any mailserver trying to
contact your home mailserver will retry, usually up to 5 days before
returning a mail as undeliverable.

But thinking about it I fear it's impossible. Please comment :

In an MX-record of my home-domain I point a secondary address to the
mailserver at work.
The mailserver at work is configured to accept mail as relay for my
home-domain.
Unfortunately, my mailserver at work is forced to use the relay-server
of my ISP. So when my werk-server accepts mail for my home-domain, it
is able send this to the ISP-relay. The ISP-relay can't send it to my
home-server so it sends this the my work-server etc. An endless loop.

Am I right in this analysis ? How to solve this ?

Your backup server at work should be configured to only try to deliver
to your home-server, not to use the MX. In postfix, you can do this
with a transport map for instance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.5°C)