Re: [opensuse] switch from 32bit opensuse to 64bit
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Bernhard Voelker
<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/12/2014 06:15 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Jeff Mahoney, SUSE Labs, has publicly said no 32-bit SLES kernels for
SLE12

Okay, but applications could still be compiled as 32bit executables
by using 32bit libs (and thus e.g. be "smaller", as indicated in a few
mails above), right?

Agreed, but for SLES I am pretty sure they are targeting bigger machines.

For openSUSE, there is no indication that 32-bit distros is being dropped.

So for the foreseeable time I suspect if you want 32-bit, you should
be fine using openSUSE. Admittedly, the 32-bit kernels are about to
start getting less high-end testing by the enterprise releases. I'm
not sure how much that matters. openSUSE was typically releasing
kernels that SLES wasn't using, so they weren't performing high-end
testing on those kernels anyway, were they?

Greg