Re: [opensuse] mkinitrd, dmsetup fails in rescue system
On Monday 10 March 2014, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

I'm still trying to boot a fresh installed 13.1 system. The initrd
does not seem to be able to find my lvm root partition.

I tried to repair from rescue system

$ mount /dev/vg0/root /mnt
$ mount /dev/sda1 /boot
$ mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
$ mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
$ mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
$ chroot /mnt

$ mkinitrd
Kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.10-7-desktop
Initrd image: /boot/initrd-3.11.10-7-desktop
KMS drivers: i915
Root device: /dev/vg0/root (mounted on / as ext4)
/dev/mapper/control: mknod failed: No such file or directory
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.
Command failed
[...]
Microcode: Adding Intel microcode 06-3c-03
Kernel Modules: thermal_sys thermal processor fan dm-mod dm-log
dm-region-hash dm-mirror dm-snapshot scsi_dh scsi_dh_rdac
scsi_dh_alua scsi_dh_emc scsi_dh_hp_sw video button i2c-algo-bit drm
drm_kms_helper i915 xhci-hcd hid-logitech-dj hid-holtek-kbd
hid-lenovo-tpkbd hid-ortek hid-roccat hid-roccat-common
hid-roccat-arvo hid-roccat-isku hid-samsung ohci-pci
Features: acpi dm intel_microcode kms plymouth usb
resume.userspace resume.kernel

I've tracked it down. It's "dmsetup info" which failes

How cat I let the device-mapper work in rescue system or how else
could I create a working initrd

Got it working by
$ mkdir /mnt/mounts
$ mount --rbind /mounts /mn/mounts
... because the links in /dev/mapper/ were pointing to a
squashfs /mounts.

It gets more and more complicated and obviously the openSUSE installer
couldn't do it correctly too.

Isn't there a command in rescue system to setup a working chroot?

cu,
Rudi