[opensuse] Re: uefi boot on asus 1225B with only openSUSE
On Sat 08 Mar 2014 07:37:45 PM CST, jdd wrote:

Hello,

some friend of me asked me to install ubuntu on his asus 1225b
computer, wipping all trace of windows.

So I inserted the unbuntu 13.04 disk, installed without problem... and
couldn't boot it, error "no system found".

This is uefi bios, gpt disk.

So I inserted the openSUSE 13.1 dvd... and... same punishment!!

I tried all what passed in my mind: verifying /boot/EFI partition was
mounted (it was), trying to set a boot flag (not available in efi/gpt
system), even trying to add manually efi system files ("Windows Boot
Manager.efi" or "Shellx64.efi" as the bios seemed to ask for.. nope.
Even tried ELILO without more success.

I now try to install with standard MBR and grub2 (non efi), and hope
to succeed.

but I would really like to install with efi/gpt system, let only for
the record :-))

any idea?

thanks
jdd
(I wonder if an double boot system would have worked, any people
testing thies on this pretty common computer?)
Hi
Not sure (this maybe a red herring), but when dual booting windows 7
via UEFI I always boot the rescue usb (13.1) and prep the gpt disk and
format the efi partition as fat16 and then when installing openSUSE
tell it to use but not format. I also ensure that the mbr is zero'd out
via gdisk;

fdisk /dev/sda
delete all partitions and w to write.

gdisk /dev/sda
w (write and quit)

gdisk /dev/sda
Y (to blank mbr)

gdisk /dev/sda
<enter>
Start sector <enter>
If dual booting
+260M <enter>
If just windows
+128M <enter>
type ef00

n <enter>
If windows present
Start sector <enter>
+128M
Type 0c01

more partitions if required, type 0700 if it's windows

write and quit

Then format sda
mkfs.vfat -F 16 /dev/sda1

Reboot and install.... I use this all the time but mostly HP systems
with windows 7 and openSUSE or SLED. I actually got a newer HP ProBook
4440s today which has secure boot present, so will probably rebuild
this system on it later on ;)

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.2 Kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop