Re: [opensuse] Blank Screen
  • From: Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:52:11 +0000
On Friday 07 Mar 2014 16:14:48 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/03/14 10:51, Paul Groves wrote:
I have a lenovo thinkpad x201 tablet and when I shut down, about 50% of
the
time i turn the laptop back on, bios shows, grub shows and then boots to
opensuse but my screen is blank.

The backlight is on as i can control the brightness but there is no image
in the screen. I can log in by typing my password and I hear the KDE
login sound but still no display,

When it does decide to show it will work fine if I sleep hibernate or
reboot but if I shut down it will have a blank screen again on most
boots.

I took out the battery for 24 hours, reset the BIOS and formatted the hard
disk. I reinstalled with a clean copy of 13.1 but this makes no
difference.

I have a Lenovo (not same model though) and do not suffer the above (but
I also never let it sleep or hibernate).

I am wondering which graphics card/chip you have? And which kernel are
you running? I am running the lastest kernel from
......Kernel:/stable:/standard - 3.13.5-2 - which *may* already have the
ability to handle the NVIDIA NVS 5400M chip (if this is what you do have
in the Thinkpad). There was a discussion about this when I asked for
comments about the Thinkpad I was about to purchase (end of last
November I think) but have forgotten all the details and advice I received.

BC
i have kernel 3.11.10-7-desktop an an intel GMA 4500MHD chip

i am suspecting this must be a driver issue as this laptop works flawlessly on
windows xp and 7.

when the display is working it works fine in opensuse too but having to reboot
the laptop 3 or 4 times to see the display is very frustrating.
--
Paul Groves