Re: [opensuse] Multilingual options, for editing and web site creation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 08:54:53 +0100
Ted Byers wrote:

I am familiar with the notion of a code page, in creating web content,
but I could use some guidance on what is needed in order to be able to
handle multiple languages, and the peculiarities of their various
scripts, on a single machine (with a US style keyboard).

Write everything in UTF8 (assuming that will cover the languages you are
interested in), and change your keyboard mapping according to which
language you're writing. With Arabic, you may have a directional
issue, afaik, Arabic is written right-to-left.

As the intent is to eventually post my content on
the web (via my own server), the traditional word processor, such as
M$ Word, may not be appropriate (the last time I looked, the HTML that
M$ Word produced was horrible and very inefficient, although that was
a while ago, so maybe such products have improved).

Any editor will do, although you'd have to add the HTML yourself. I
think that's a very minor issue though.

The second thing I need is a way to have multilingual content on the
same website, giving a visitor the ability to read both the English
and the translation of it 9side by side or inter-lineal), so he or she
can check the quality of the translation (and perhaps give me
suggestions to help me improve my understanding of the languages I am
trying to learn. I have reached out to the Wordpress forum about this,
but it is low traffic and there has been no response yet.

Use iframes - e.g. two frames side by side. The left pulls the original
document, the right one the translation.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.8°C)