[opensuse] How do I get a session when I login remotely from a X11+ssh based system?

Many utils issue warnings and some no longer work correctly (like saving
and restoring settings. Instead of using the ".rc" files they've
always used, they look to store things out on dbus somewhere in a session.

So how do I get rid of the warnings and have my settings stored again...
or better, how do I tell Session manager just to use my home directory
settings as my "session"?

I currently log in with ssh, and have display set to
my remotehost:0. (not going through ssh due to speed degradation --
but also because am on a closed, internal net.

Did anyone think about people logging in remotely from other systems
when they came up with this sessions idea? How's it supposed to work?