Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
On 2014-03-03 14:08, Werner Flamme wrote:
Carlos E. R. [03.03.2014 12:39]:

But then, we will need to adjust that affirmation. A "zypper patch"
could update some things, that the subsequent "zypper up" updates
again, differently, because it considers other repos. The end result
should be in any case the same as only doing a "zypper up".

I do not agree. As far as I see it, "zypper patch" also draws the latest
packages from other repos. If "zypper patch" sees that package XYZ has
to be patched, and that the update-repo contains XYZ-1.4.7, and another
repo holds XYZ-1.4.9, it may as well install XYZ-1.4.9.

No, "zypper patch" does not consider other repos. That's the main
practical difference.

At least it did for me :-\

If "zypper patch" updates only from the "official sources" including the
update repo, a "zypper up" will not update the same packages again.
Where should they be from? If the newer package version is from another
repo, zypper regards this as "vendor change", and will not update this
package (by default, because solver.allowVendorChange is set to false in
/etc/zypp/zypper.conf). Instead, it puts a line "the following packages
will NOT be updated" followed by the package list on the screen.

It depends.

Sometimes a "zypper patch" wants to update a package which you already
changed to another repository, generating a conflict.

So if you first do a "patch" and later "up", first you get one update,
later a different one.

I have seen it happen. Maybe because "patch" does not respect vendor
change (there was a bugzilla about that time ago), or because some of
those extra repos have the same vendor string.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >