Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
Carlos E. R. [03.03.2014 12:39]:
On 2014-03-03 05:04, Basil Chupin wrote:

You are not mad, but certainly it is a superfluous operation, as a
"zypper up" includes what "zypper patch" would do. The "zypper ref"
step is also unneeded, because the first zypper operation will do that
automatically - unless you disabled automatic refresh.

Or unless the last refresh was less than 10 minutes ago. Or whatever
time you set as repo.refresh.delay in /etc/zypp/zypper.conf :-)

But then, we will need to adjust that affirmation. A "zypper patch"
could update some things, that the subsequent "zypper up" updates
again, differently, because it considers other repos. The end result
should be in any case the same as only doing a "zypper up".

I do not agree. As far as I see it, "zypper patch" also draws the latest
packages from other repos. If "zypper patch" sees that package XYZ has
to be patched, and that the update-repo contains XYZ-1.4.7, and another
repo holds XYZ-1.4.9, it may as well install XYZ-1.4.9.

At least it did for me :-\

If "zypper patch" updates only from the "official sources" including the
update repo, a "zypper up" will not update the same packages again.
Where should they be from? If the newer package version is from another
repo, zypper regards this as "vendor change", and will not update this
package (by default, because solver.allowVendorChange is set to false in
/etc/zypp/zypper.conf). Instead, it puts a line "the following packages
will NOT be updated" followed by the package list on the screen.