Re: [opensuse] testing asterisk hardware
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:20:16 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 08:47 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 10:30 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Yes, I would do that for e.g. asterisk itself, but without the
extra hardware (multi-port ISDN cards basically), the my testing
would be
way incomplete. This is probably an area that receives very
little testing/attention during development.

Without any spare hardware it is nearly impossible to avoid awkward
situations.

At work, i tried to minimalize the impact...
I separated the ISDN-trunk-line from the main PABX-functionality of
asterisk.
One box acting only as ISDB-bri gateway, and asterisk and the
real-time-DB virtualized on other hardware.
Instead of upgrading the asterisk-box, just make another virtual
client, and when satisfied enough, switch one vm off, and have the
new vm and the isdn-gw point to each other.

Interesting setup. What do you have running on your gateway then and
how does asterisk talk to it?

The main asterisk-server, (sles as a XEN-vm) looks at the ISDN-gw as a
IAX-trunk line.
The gateway itself is just-enough sles + asterisk.

Interesting, I like it. To be honest, since we switched to asterisk 5+
years ago, I have not even considered changing the setup.

So your gateway is just a really simple ISDN<>IAX "converter"? I guess
that means you can't use ISDN-functions on your main asterisk server?
(misdn_deflect etc).

But i was reminded lately that i could possibly use a box from AVM
(fritz-7170B of 7390). These boxes are nomally sold as
adsl2-anex-B-modem. These were recommended, as there are no (decently
priced) single/double line ISDN-BRI gateways.

Our asterisk server has three Beronet 4-port cards, but I'm not sure
they're even manufactured anymore. I think we have two-three HFC
single-port cards on a shelf somewhere too - we used those internally
when we still had actual ISDN hardware in the office, they work really
well. (they're for sale, if you're interested).

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.9°C)