Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
On 02/03/14 04:37, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I still can't login though - my password is accepted, but then I'm
fairly promptly returned to the login screen. It seems that I ought
to continue with another "zypper up", but is that the best/correct
approach?
Per,

You keep saying "zypper up"
Yes, I am updating a 12.3 system. My $SUBJ should have said "updating",
not "upgrading".
In that case, zypper patch pulls exclusively updates from the official
update repos only.
It is a safer option than zypper up which can pull from any of the
configured repos, and as such is more dangerous.

I distinctly recall mentioning that I always do 'zypper refresh' then 'zypper patch' then 'zypper up' when somebody told me that I was "mad" because doing 'zypper up' was all that was required as 'up' included 'patch'.

But your comment supports my actions of doing 'patch' as a separate step.

Thanks for showing that I am not "mad" (as some may think :-) ).

BC

--
Secrecy is completely inadequate for democracy but totally appropriate
for tyranny. If the minister will not inform the public, then we are

Malcolm Fraser - Former Prime Minister of Australia, February 2014