Re: [opensuse] Why I dislike upgrading ....
  • From: Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 22:59:31 +0100
On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 10:30 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

On 03/01/2014 07:10 AM, Per Jessen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Paul Neuwirth wrote:

This problem is very well known.
i try to keep all systems up to date.
problematical (and or self debugged) packages are frozen, e.g.
ISDN, CAPI, asterisk..

Yes, I have to admit I avoid touching our asterisk box as much as
possible. We don't have test hardware so can't test it

Perhaps use a VirtualBox VM for testing?

Yes, I would do that for e.g. asterisk itself, but without the extra
hardware (multi-port ISDN cards basically), the my testing would be way
incomplete. This is probably an area that receives very little
testing/attention during development.

Without any spare hardware it is nearly impossible to avoid awkward
situations.

At work, i tried to minimalize the impact...
I separated the ISDN-trunk-line from the main PABX-functionality of
asterisk.
One box acting only as ISDB-bri gateway, and asterisk and the
real-time-DB virtualized on other hardware.
Instead of upgrading the asterisk-box, just make another virtual client,
and when satisfied enough, switch one vm off, and have the new vm and
the isdn-gw point to each other.

hw