Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
afaik, "zypper patch" only applies recommended or security updates.
"zypper up" applies all available updates.

i always check available packages using nagios, i use zypper patch to install only the urgent updates.

On Mar 2 2014 17:51, Per Jessen wrote:

Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 17:51:55 +0100
From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....

Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

On 03/02/2014 04:33 AM, Per Jessen pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I still can't login though - my password is accepted, but then
I'm
fairly promptly returned to the login screen. It seems that I
ought to continue with another "zypper up", but is that the
best/correct approach?

Per,

You keep saying "zypper up"

Yes, I am updating a 12.3 system. My $SUBJ should have said
"updating", not "upgrading".

In that case, zypper patch pulls exclusively updates from the
official update repos only.
It is a safer option than zypper up which can pull from any of
the
configured repos, and as such is more dangerous.

I sent that to fast. I meant to add that the repos "zypper patch"
can pull is only those found at:

<http://download.opensuse.org/update/>

which you can see is just the official update repos that the
opensuse support team maintains.

Greg

Yeah, I usually only play with other repos on systems I'm testing or
debugging - for plain office machines like this laptop, I stick to
vanilla openSUSE.

I appreciate your comments Greg - I've never used "zypper patch", I
think I'll be switching to that.

You don't "switch" to using 'zypper patch', you use it as well as
'zypper up'.

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite get that - Greg says above "zypper patch pulls
exclusively updates from the official update repos only.". As I
mentioned, I generally only use the official repos anyway, so what
would I use "zypper up" for?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.6°C)