Re: [opensuse] Why I hate updating ....
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:33:48 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:

Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I still can't login though - my password is accepted, but then I'm
fairly promptly returned to the login screen. It seems that I
ought to continue with another "zypper up", but is that the
best/correct approach?

Per,

You keep saying "zypper up"

Yes, I am updating a 12.3 system. My $SUBJ should have said
"updating", not "upgrading".

In that case, zypper patch pulls exclusively updates from the
official update repos only.
It is a safer option than zypper up which can pull from any of the
configured repos, and as such is more dangerous.

I sent that to fast. I meant to add that the repos "zypper patch" can
pull is only those found at:

<http://download.opensuse.org/update/>

which you can see is just the official update repos that the opensuse
support team maintains.

Greg

Yeah, I usually only play with other repos on systems I'm testing or
debugging - for plain office machines like this laptop, I stick to
vanilla openSUSE.

I appreciate your comments Greg - I've never used "zypper patch", I
think I'll be switching to that.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.3°C)