Re: [opensuse] xinetd logs go to the wrong place
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 22:37:41 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2014-03-01 at 17:05 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 01/03/14 16:39, Carlos E. R. escribió:

No, nothing will stop you from using xinetd..but *packages* should only include systemd native units for service management, to centralize it in one place and reduce duplication of functionality and maintenance burden..

This is similar to cronjobs that have to be migrated as some point to use systemd timers..of course no one is going to modify the sysadmin cronjobs or remove cron from the installed system.. just those scripts included in packages.

Ok.

So, as I'm using packages supplied by the distribution (xinetd, vsftp, leafnode...) it is not my job to alter them to use systemd services, and I am correct to expect that they work as supplied.

It is somebody else's job to change them to work, some day in the future, to work via systemd instead.

So, the question still is, why does xinetd not work?

Well, I found it. The default configuration is:

+++······························
# Previous default in SUSE - please don't forget to use the logrotate. The
# sample configuration is in /usr/share/packages/doc/xinetd/logrotate
# log_type = FILE /var/log/xinetd.log

# Define general logging characteristics.
log_type = SYSLOG daemon info
log_on_failure = HOST ATTEMPT
log_on_success = HOST EXIT DURATION
······························++-

It is not enough to remove the comment from the first entry; the second entry has to be commented out, or perhaps the entire paragraph:

+++······························
# Previous default in SUSE - please don't forget to use the logrotate. The
# sample configuration is in /usr/share/packages/doc/xinetd/logrotate
log_type = FILE /var/log/xinetd.log

# Define general logging characteristics.
# log_type = SYSLOG daemon info
log_on_failure = HOST ATTEMPT
log_on_success = HOST EXIT DURATION

Or, I can leave it as it is now, logging via syslog, and using "/etc/rsyslog.conf" to reroute it again to "/var/log/xinetd.log".

I'll have to find out what the differences are.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)
< Previous Next >