[opensuse] Re: Restore filesystem without losing data?
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 23:31:42 -0500 Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

An external hard disk of mine became corrupted, and in an effort to
save
the data on it I dd'd it to another hard disk. Both disks were
formatted in Yast (openSUSE 13.1) with a single ext4 partition. But
after using dd, now the filesystem is gone from the second disk, though
otherwise the partition table appears to be intact, and cat and grep
show at least some of the data. I had run `e2fsck -b 32768 -c' on the
first disk when the problem first appeared (it was unmountable), but
that seemed to make things worse, so I'm reluctant to try it on the
second disk, unless someone convinces me I used it wrong and tells me
the right way. Or is there another way to restore the filesystem
without losing the data?

Steve Berman

Most if not all of the recommendations were disk recovery tools or file
carvers.

Both have their use, but your disk seems fine and file carving is a last
resort.

Why is that?

The best option for your case is a scanner that understands ext4
directory/inside style metadata and uses it to pull out files with accurate
names and even paths.

I've got commercial software that does that. The only open source app for
that I know is ext4magic

http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=ext4magic

I packaged it, but I only did minimal testing. I don't know why someone else
packaged the older version, but you can try it out too.

As far as I understood from the man page, this is for recovering deleted
files from an intact ext4 filesystem. But my case is the opposite: the
data is there, but the filesystem is gone (or anyway unrecognizable).

In any case, as far as I could tell both ext4magic and foremost (the
file carving tool also recommended) work essentially on an all or
nothing basis. Both the corrupted disk and the good disk that I dd'd
the data to are 3TB external disks, and I don't have that much space on
my other disks, so until I replace the corrupted disk I can't try to
recover all the data in one go.

Steve Berman