Re: [opensuse] Change Pulseaudio to default flat-volumes=no
On 30/01/14 06:54, Amuraritei Andrei wrote:
Hello users,

I'd like to ask the users here what would they think about changing
Pulseaudio's default flat-volumes=yes to flat-volumes=no, to prevent apps like
VLC or Amarok or the sound notification popup from modyfing the master sound
level on your openSUSE distro.

+1

I make this change every time because I feel the pulseaudio system should function just like a real-world, physical mixer. I had a long (and patronising) email exchange with the upstream devs about it a few years ago - the basic attitude was (quite bizarrely) "that's the way Windows is doing it so that's how we'll do it"... At the time, there was no flat-volumes option at all, so I take a little credit for that; but you're absolutely right - changing the volume in one application should have no effect on other applications' levels and definitely not the master...

Dylan