Re: [opensuse] Restore filesystem without losing data?

Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

An external hard disk of mine became corrupted, and in an effort to
save
the data on it I dd'd it to another hard disk. Both disks were
formatted in Yast (openSUSE 13.1) with a single ext4 partition. But
after using dd, now the filesystem is gone from the second disk, though
otherwise the partition table appears to be intact, and cat and grep
show at least some of the data. I had run `e2fsck -b 32768 -c' on the
first disk when the problem first appeared (it was unmountable), but
that seemed to make things worse, so I'm reluctant to try it on the
second disk, unless someone convinces me I used it wrong and tells me
the right way. Or is there another way to restore the filesystem
without losing the data?

Steve Berman

Most if not all of the recommendations were disk recovery tools or file carvers.

Both have their use, but your disk seems fine and file carving is a last resort.

The best option for your case is a scanner that understands ext4
directory/inside style metadata and uses it to pull out files with accurate
names and even paths.

I've got commercial software that does that. The only open source app for that
I know is ext4magic

http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=ext4magic

I packaged it, but I only did minimal testing. I don't know why someone else
packaged the older version, but you can try it out too.

Greg