[opensuse] Re: Restore filesystem without losing data?
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:49:38 -0500 Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* Stephen Berman <stephen.berman@xxxxxxx> [01-28-14 15:46]:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:32:05 +0100 Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephen Berman wrote:

An external hard disk of mine became corrupted, and in an effort to
save the data on it I dd'd it to another hard disk. Both disks were
formatted in Yast (openSUSE 13.1) with a single ext4 partition. But
after using dd, now the filesystem is gone from the second disk,

Yes, you've created a copy of the corrupted disk.

I feared as much. Is there any way to save the data (including the
filesystem) from a corrupted partition (aside from already having a
backup of it)?

I tried ddrescue on a faulty win7 laptop w/o success and found it a
lengthy process time wise.

That doesn't sound very encouraging...

Steve Berman