Re: [opensuse] Installing openSUSE 13.1 alongside OEM Windows 8.1 with Intel Rapid Storage
On 2014-01-28 14:23, Pablo Dotro wrote:
Greetings All!

I just bought a new ultrabook. It came with a 500Gb HDD and a 32 Gb SSD.
It is configured as a RAID0 array, and is being used at the moment by
the preinstalled Windows 8.1 (8 originally, it upgraded itself). Windows
is set to use "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" and "Intel Rapid Start
Technology".

As far as I know, this is a software raid technique to use the SSD as a
cache for the standard disk, improving speed and response time of
windows applications. It is not true hardware raid, but "fakeraid",
firmware based.

I think it is similar to bcache in Linux, which is not easy to setup,
not everything works, I heard.

When I try to install openSUSE (from the KDE liveDVD), I get a message
indicating that there are partitions on a raid setup,but when I get to
the partitioning part of YAST, I do not see them listed.

I think that you have to destroy you Windows install, and install it
again without using that technology.

Or perhaps install Linux outside that setup.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.