Re: [opensuse] Re: Temp directories NOT cleared at boot (oS13.1)
On 01/26/2014 05:50 PM, Peter wrote:
On 26/01/14 17:21, Anton Aylward wrote:
You'll soon see that those 1T SSD are NOT a good idea. The problem is
putting everything in one place. A mistake of MS-DOS/Windows. Certainly
having /tmp on a SSD is a BAD idea. And if you have it as tmpfs in
memory then you better have a way of cleaning it unless you reboot your
machine to flush it daily.

How does this translate for an everyday user with a single SSD in their
laptop / desktop? I ask because you've got me slightly worried now. On
my laptop I have a slow HDD and have just ordered an SSD replacement. I
do have a docking station with a modular bay so have bought a caddy to
stick the old HDD in there, and will use that disk as my primary backup
location.

But, this being a laptop, though I tend to use it most of the time at my
desk with docking station attached, there are obviously times I go
mobile with it. So I cannot put /tmp anywhere but on the main SSD. The
laptop maxes out at 4GB RAM so putting temp into memory is not an option
either. I can see the problem though with continual writes to /tmp not
being good for an SSD's lifetime.

Does it make any difference in your opinion to have /tmp on a separate
partition on an SSD rather than lumping everything in with / ?

I don't know how modern that laptop is.
Having only 4G seems small to me.
But using memory for /tmp *is* an option.

What we are talking about here ultimately boils down to 'risk management'. You have a number of risks. Using Suse is one of them :-)

Using a laptop continuously as a desktop can kill the batteries. BTDT. it keeps them on charge, warm. Batteries don't like heat.

Using a single disk system is a risk. In fact using a single disk system is probably a greater risk.

Linux can do some marvellous things. Not only can you do tricks with mounts - rbind - but also with the overlayFS.

Having a separate /tmp you can mount it with noexec,nosuid, nodev options. That too is manages risk.

If I were you and if it were possible, I'd work out a way so that when you are at the docking station the HD is used as /tmp.

It may be as simple as a 'mount'. If the mount fails 'cos you are 'elsewhere' then the /tmp that was the mount point is used.

Does it make a difference?
It depends.
On my small system running BtrFS I was trying to determine of having only one FS for the whole system allows BtrFS to do optimizations. It seems it does. Would that apply with other file systems? Perhaps with another B-Tree based FS. Elsewhere I use ReiserFS for a variety of reasons, mostly that it recovers from unexpected shut-downs very well, but I also like the way it packs small files. I make use of a lot of scripts and table-driven stuff; Ruby has a lot of script with files under 1k bytes, many half or a quarter that. For me, packing is a good thing. YMMV.

There are no absolutes.
Context is everything.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130224220113AAnFpU1

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/Issues/2008/Feb/ShouldYouKeepYourLaptopPluggedInorNot.htm

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1mvu4f/

Question: Are you using a separate partition for /home?
What about /usr/local?

--
The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.
--Thomas Jefferson