Re: [opensuse] New NVIDIA drivers available
  • From: Amuraritei Andrei <sirdeiu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:30:05 +0200
On Sunday 26 January 2014 16:28:22 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 22/01/14 04:07, Amuraritei Andrei wrote:
On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 05:19:03 PM Basil Chupin wrote:
Do you know if this patch will also work with the 331.38 driver and the
3.12.7.x kernel?

BC

Hello,

Yes it should work. 331.20 and 331.38 kernel modules should compile
without
patching on kernel version 3.12.xx - but not 3.13. UVM module maybe not,
as
reported by different users here and on the NVIDIA developer forums, thus
requiring --no-unified-memory switch on the nvidia-installer.

331.38 requires the patch mentioned to compile the kernel module, because
of some kernel changes to acpi event flags waiting introduced with kernel
3.13. Also the patch fixes another change needed for loading the UVM
module, which although compiles OK, errors out when trying to load it
(modprobe) with the some EUID error. The patch fixes that. This was for
3.13-rc, while NVIDIA doesn't officially support devel-version kernels.

331.38 works quite OK and doesn't screw things like 331.20 did. I'm using
it like I said for a while now (actually right after release) and with
every 3.13-rcX update in K:HEAD repo that I got, ran the 331.38 patched
driver installer, rebuilt the kernel and it worked without problems.)

Regarding the usage of K:HEAD and 3.13.rc kernel versions, I was curious
about the multi-queue block layer, but I'm already planning a reinstall
of 13.1 using btrfs so I'll be using whatever is in the update channels
or like you suggested in K:stable.

Short procedure for installing 331.38 is:

Get the 331.38.run install file.

0. Boot with kernel param 3 or in terminal as root do systemctl stop xdm.
1. sh NVIDIA...331.38.run -x to extract.
2. cp nvidia_3.13_kernel.patch to NVIDIA...331.38 folder
3. Apply patch with patch -p 1 -i ./nvidia_3.13_kernel.patch for example.
4. ./nvidia-installer -a
5. Reboot.
6. Profit.

Thanks for the above. The driver is now installed and working with
kernel 3.13.x.

I have often considered trying to use the HEAD repo but while I have
always liked to be at "the bleeding edge" I have recognised quite some
time ago that there is more pain than gain in doing so which is why I
stay with the K:stable :-) .

BC

Hi Basil,

There's a new version of the patch, 1.3, has some added tests for 3.13. See
that you get/use that one.

Without going too much off-topic and in bigger rant, regarding bleeding edge, I
can say after using Archlinux and it's rolling release model, that if you're
just a bit mindful of the "signs" (check the website for news or general info
channel) you don't get in that much trouble with bleeding edge. Of course some
experience with computers is needed.

Have a good one.

Deiu