Re: [opensuse] "X" config
On 01/24/2014 12:30 AM, Michael Hamilton wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
Back in the old days before "X" was auto-configured there was a way to
adjust the screen size (not resolution) and position. With my Toshiba
Satellite the "screen" is too far to the left which cuts off the left
part of the desktop and any open windows which I have full screen.

Is there a way to adjust these settings anywhere. And NO I do not wish
to create a custom xorg.conf.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

I think there used to be a way to do this with a GUI tool, but I have not needed
to do so in many years.

Perhaps take a look at the man page for xrandr

IIR xrandr and its DM variants only offer a choice based on what the X server autoconfigures or what is defined in the
xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf

Ken, this late model way of setting the xserver is much nicer than the old single file method. You only have to specify what you need to 'override' rather than write a complete config file.

--
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions; it only guarantees equality of opportunity.
--Irving Kristol