Re: [opensuse] Adjusting console font size
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:51:55 -0500
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Ted Byers <r.ted.byers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2014-01-23 12:17 (GMT-0500) Greg Freemyer composed:

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:14:36 -0500 Greg Freemyer composed:

After booting, is there a way to adjust the console font size?

What console? Does the desktop make a difference? I am still struggling to
learn the unix way of doing things, so I don't know if it matters whether
you're using KDE or Gnome.

Ted, at a high level there are 2 user interfaces with linux:

console
X-Windows (That includes KDE / Gnome / XFCE / etc.)

The console is a pure text only display such as was common on
computers in the early 70's. If your openSUSE box is booting straight
to X (like most do), you have enter control-alt-F2 to get to VT2. (VT
== virtual terminal)

VT2 is the second virtual terminal on the PC. I use it a lot.

control-alt-F1 will get you to VT1. VT1 is where boot messages and
other things go. I tend to not use it much once booting finishes.

VT7 is by default where X runs, but you can have it on VT8, etc.

If you are already on a text console, a simple alt-F1, etc. will take
you to VT1. If you are on a X based VT, you have to use
control-alt-F# to move to a new VT.

You should take a quick run through all 12 VTs, just so you know they
exist. On my PC VT1-VT6 are text consoles. VT7 is X. VT8 and VT9 are
blank. VT10 is a running tail -f /var/log/messages I think (not sure
about that). VT11 and VT12 are blank.

Greg