Re: [opensuse] Adjusting console font size
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:40:13 -0500
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2014-01-23 12:17 (GMT-0500) Greg Freemyer composed:

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:14:36 -0500 Greg Freemyer composed:

After booting, is there a way to adjust the console font size?

== background ==

I'm trying to create my own opensuse based boot DVD. With a Mac Book
Air, the font size is way too small. I don't want to change grub,
since that would affect all users.

I'd like to just have a note in the release notes for the DVD that if
the font size is too small, they can adjust it via ....

You will need to load different font; it is normally per-VT, so it
should not affect other users. Look in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts for
available fonts.

Thank you, setfont /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/<font> is just what I
was looking for.

fyi: Even with a 12x22 font there are 80 lines on the console!

There they live, but how does one apply one from there after booting has
finished?

Felix, login into one of the VTs, then type:

setfont /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/iso01-12x22.psfu.gz

That is the command I used that make the font big enough on the Mac
Book Pro for me to read it.

It only impacted the current VT. setfont takes other args, but I
didn't experiment with it.

Greg