[opensuse] SOLVED: apache log full of wpad.dat
* Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@xxxxxxxxx> [01-22-14 07:47]:
On 21 January 2014 22:18, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
out of my tree here, how to remove wildcard DNS record. I use dhcp to
assign hostname but have not configured it more (to my knowledge).

I've not used no-ip, but their help pages suggest that it's an option there:
http://www.noip.com/blog/2012/01/25/confused-about-configuring-your-no-ip-hostname/

How are you updating your IP address at no-ip.org? Presumably it's
using something like ddclient on your router? This might also need a
configuration change if it is specifically submitting a wildcard
hostname, but it's probably not so changing the hostname settings via
their web interface should do the trick.

Thankyou, this appears to have solved the riddle. no-ip does allow
setting wildcard and I disabled it. The setting is on their web
interface, rather than the ddclient. No more cludges for windows and
searching for hidden configs.

thanks much,

recap: apache2 logs were full, >1000 lines per day, of failed/successful
depending of presence of wpad.dat file on server, from two local win
machines, win7/win8. Problem solved by changing from wildcard hostname on
no-ip.com web interface.