Re: [opensuse] problems with 13.1 raid setup?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:21:07 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:

I'm experimenting with a new installation on SATA RAID with ICH7R -
when I started the installation, I was asked if the MD subsystem
should manage the RAID device(s), to which I said yes.

In the partitioner, I then saw two RAID devices, md126 and md127,
which seems a bit odd. Aren't they the ones created when stray
superblocks are found? I was also surprised to see two RAID1s, as I
only created one.

Has anyone else played with such a setup? I'm tempted to revert to
md software raid.

Ignore the ICH7R question, I've reverted to plain software raid. YaST
seems to have some issues though - I've created two RAID arrays, but
whenever I boot and restart the installation, they appear as md126 and
md127. Before I start YaST, I delete these and recreate as md0 and
md1. (this happens again and again).
YaST now seems to choke on them, and not recognize them as RAID - in
the partitioner, they are listed as harddisks instead of under RAID
which appears to mean I can't use them as whole drives.

After formatting md1 with ext4, it got correctly recognized and added
under "RAID", whereas md0 (now formatted for swap) got recognized
as "/dev/md/0" - pretty weird. This is a brand new system and two
brand new SATA drives. Did anyone actually test partitioner+RAID in
13.1 ?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (0.0°C)