Re: [opensuse] Installing 13.1 with NET iso, hangs at "Loading Installation System x/6, arbitrary percentage
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:43:05 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2014-01-21 07:50, Per Jessen wrote:
Yes, quite possibly, using the swap-space makes it
difficult/impossible
to alter the disk-layout. If you prepare the disk before-hand, it's
quite a useful feature though.

AFAIK, that's the reason it is not used automatically. It is the admin
who knows if he can allow swap to be used and from what disk.

Yes, that makes sense. I wonder if the installer would ask me if I want
to add swap, but it's been years since I have had to work with such
tiny systems.

However, I did manage to install this system, 13.1 is now running on a
PII 333MHz with 256Mb RAM. It's perfectly useable too, using up about
95Mb memory. In case you're wondering, I need this box because it has
a couple of ISA slots, and I needed to upgrade it because I needed the
comedi drivers for an I/O card. As it turns out, the comedi drivers
weren't enabled in the opensuse kernel anyway, so the exercise was
somewhat pointless, but nonetheless good fun.

Wrt the disk-drive, well, they just don't make them like that anymore.
It's a 1999 10Gb Western Digital Caviar, showing no problems and
passing the short smart selftest every day.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.8°C)