Re: [opensuse] apache log full of wpad.dat
* Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@xxxxxxxxx> [01-21-14 15:02]:
[...]
On your openSUSE machine you do not have 'domain wahoo.no-ip.org' or
'search wahoo.no-ip.org' in /etc/resolv.conf, so a DNS lookup for
'wpad' simply returns NXDOMAIN.

I do have "search wahoo.no-ip.org" but not "domain wahoo.no-ip.org" in
/etc/resolv.conf.

Your Windows machine has the functional equivalent of 'domain
wahoo.no-ip.org', probably configured by your DHCP server, unless
you've configured the network interface manually. It therefore appends
'wahoo.no-ip.org' to 'wpad' to get a fully qualified domain name, and
looks up 'wpad.wahoo.no-ip.org'. You have a wildcard domain record set
up such that 'practicallyanythinggoeshere.wahoo.no-ip.org' resolves to
50.90.199.127.

In short, everything is behaving correctly and as expected.

Your options are:
1) Add an entry to Windows' hosts file, as you've discovered.
2) Remove the wildcard DNS record and replace it with explicit records
for those names that you actually want to resolve.

out of my tree here, how to remove wildcard DNS record. I use dhcp to
assign hostname but have not configured it more (to my knowledge).

3) Configure Windows not to append the primary DNS suffix when looking
up an unqualified name. I'm not entirely certain it's possible to do
this, although you could probably set it to something intentionally
invalid so that all unqualified lookups fail.
3a) (In the same vein as setting it to something intentionally
invalid) Configure your DHCP server not to inform the client what its
DNS suffix should be. Probably not what you want.
4) Take a look here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a97604d6-b6d1-41e5-b6fc-dbbccebf570d/disable-wpad-dns-querys-completly
- in particular I'd suggest trying one-by-one the steps listed by
Arthur_Li in that thread.

already had his first two points implemented
edited the registry as noted
removed the host wpad redirection on the windows mach
ran: ping wpad in a terminal on windows

:^( still get the wpad.dat entries in apache2 log file

re-added the host redirection and reversed the registry change

Personally I'd probably go with option 2, as wildcard DNS records can
cause any number of surprises like this.

Be glad to if I can figure how??

tks for the help.