Re: [opensuse] multiboot value (was: Installing 13.1 with NET iso...)
On 2014-01-21 15:28 (GMT+0100) Carlos E. R. composed:

Per Jessen wrote:

Yes, quite possibly, using the swap-space makes it difficult/impossible
to alter the disk-layout. If you prepare the disk before-hand, it's
quite a useful feature though.

AFAIK, that's the reason it is not used automatically. It is the admin
who knows if he can allow swap to be used and from what disk. Otherwise,
you'd get complains from people getting errors when trying to
repartition the entire disk (yes, many of us don't do as Felix ;-) )

One important reason for partitioning in advance is the value of multiboot. It can be so very much handier if some kind of repair to an installation becomes necessary, even just to troubleshoot if some repair is necessary, if it can be done via a menu that brings up an older, known working installation with similar configuration, compared to using some random live media to attempt same.

Saturday I had an alien Windows 2008 Server here for diagnosis running on my LAN for about 6 hours. Sunday I found that my openSUSE 11.4 LAN/web server could see no shares except its own, while other systems on the LAN, both eComStation and Linux, could see most or all shares on the LAN, except those from the server. Neither rebooting everything nor shutting down everything except this and one other system helped. Eventually I tried booting the server to 11.2 instead of 11.4, and shares became visible both ways again. I rebooted back to 11.4, and shares remained visible both ways, just as if 11.4 had never had a problem seeing or being seen in the first place.

I explained what happened after the fact to kukks on irc://freenode/#samba-os2 and he suggested 'smbcontrol nmbd force-election' might have been a solution. He also suggested configuring the server's smb.conf with higher priority, setting preferred master = as high as 255. Before that suggestion I had it set to 40.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/