Re: [opensuse] New NVIDIA drivers available
On 20/01/14 00:07, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 20/01/14 02:06, Alvin Beach wrote:
I tried the RPMs from the nvidia repo (for 12.3) and I would get high CPU
usage (80%+) while
starting/playing L4D2. In fact, that was just starting the game. The game
was unplayable as it would
could not get past the menu (joining a game would freeze). Also, as soon as
I started the game, and
before the menu loaded, the CPU temps would climb above 65C and stay there
until I force killed it.

I tried other versions from other repos (some from in home:/), but the same
thing.

In the end, I just downloaded the .run from nvidia's site and installed it
manually. No issues with
CPU usage or temperatures.

The .run does complain that it cannot build the CUDA support/driver.
However, since AFAIK I don't
use CUDA I just used "--no-unified-memory' (as per its log file instructs)
to get around the error.

[snip]

Alvin